Commencing a brilliant undergraduate academic career, he was adjudged as the best outgoing student of Madurai Medical College, South India. Subsequently, he was meritoriously selected to the prestigious Post Doctoral Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, where he completed his post-graduation in Internal medicine and Fellowship in Gastroenterology, with flying colours.
Later, he had his speciality Endoscopy Training under Prof. Nib Soehendra at University of Hamburg, Germany Prof. Michael Cremer at Hospital Erasme, Brussels, Belgium ; Prof. Kees Hubriegse at Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Prof. Roger Williams at Royal Free Hospital, London, UK.
He brought the technology and techniques which he learnt globally, to India. He served as a teaching faculty at Madras Medical College, India (1986-89) and later established a new department of Gastroenterology at Coimbatore Medical College Hospital, Coimbatore (1989-96). Subsequently he established MedIndia hospital, a tertiary care Training & Research Institute for Gastroenterology, at Coimbatore in 1996 and at Chennai in 2001. He brought in “State of the Art” technology and facilities like advanced bilio pancreatic endotherapy, spyglass cholangioscopy, Endo-ultrasonography, laser lithotripsy and the third space endoscopy in this part of India. He brought in comprehensive management concepts like esophageal lab and constipation relief lab in South India.
He has trained over 750 fellows and surgeons from India and neighboring countries like, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Bangladesh, Nepal, Palestine, Kenya, Nigeria, Gulf countries and few from USA, in advanced G.I. endoscopy.
He reported several innovative techniques in G.I. Endoscopy to his credit in peer reviewed journals viz.
- Endoscopic Intralesional xylocaine injection in pill induced in esophageal ulcer (Novel Endoscopic Therapy for the Treatment of Pill induced Esophageal Ulcer) – Annals of Gastroenterology, 2008, Volume 21, No 2 (2008)
- “Catheter pull sign and red catheter sign” in glue therapy for gastric fundal varices (Novel predictors for immediate puncture site bleed during endoscopic glue injection for gastric varices without using lipiodol) – Indian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013 May;32(3):200-3.
- Double-step invagination technique – A novel approach to retrieve embedded esophageal self-expanding metal stent – Indian Journal of Gastroenterology September 2017, Volume 36, Issue 5, pp 424–428.
- A new endoscopic method of retrieval of a migrated and transmurally embedded intrauterine contraceptive device in the rectum – Indian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016 Nov ; 35(6):489-491.
- External radio opaque markers as a guide to maintain the axis of dissection during sub mucosal tunneling in per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) procedure for achalasia cardia – Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, ES 40, Volume 36, Supplement 1, December, 2017.
Prof. Dr. T.S.CHANDRASEKAR,
MD, DM, D.Sc, FRCP(Glasg), FRCP(Edin),FICP, FIMSA, FASGE
- Conferred Padma Shri Award by the Government of India, the highest civilian award, for his contributions in Medicine – Gastroenterology, in January, 2016.
- Hon. National President, Indian Society of Gastroenterology – (2016-2017).
- Conferred Fellowship of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FASGE), Royal College of Physicians of Edinburg & Glasgow (FRCP – Edinburg & Glasgow)
- International Committee Member, America! Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE).
- National Individual Professional Awardee for Services rendered to Persons with Disabilities.
- Tamil Nadu State Awardee for Services rendered to Persons with Disabilities.
- Tamil Nadu Scientist Awardee by The Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology
- Awarded the prestigious Olympus J-Mitra Endoscopy Award and SISCO Pentax Oration Award by The Indian Society of Gastroenterology for his outstanding contributions in G.I. Endoscopy, 2008
- Best Outgoing Student, with 14 Gold medals to his credit, Madurai Medical College, Tamil Nadu, South India, 1979.
- M.D (Internal Medicine)., DM (Gastroenterology) from the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India 1980-85.
- D.Sc, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, South India, 2009
- Honorary National President, Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India, (2007-2008)
- Editorial Board Member. Journal of Digestive Endoscopy and Honorary Reviewer for Indian Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology International.
- Member, State Advisory Board on Disability, Department for the Welfare of Differently Abled, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Has delivered 26 prestigious Orations and more than 750 invitational lectures in India and abroad.
- Adjunct Professor, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai (2005-2010)
- He served as an expert and faculty in over 80 International Live Endoscopy Workshop held at Singapore, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India and delivered more than 450 invitational lectures.
- Best Doctor Award by the Hon. Chief of Minister of Tamil Nadu, South India, for his Professional Excellence and Medico Social Service, on 15th August, 2012.
- Created 14 Teaching CD ROMs in GI Endoscopy, first of its kind in India.
- Instituted a Toll Free Digestive Diseases Helpline No. 12789, first of its kind in India.
- Trained over 750 doctors in GI Endoscopy from all over India and abroad.
- Introduced first time in Tamil Nadu following Facilities: (A). Endo Ultrasonography, High Resolution G.I. Manometry, Balloon Enteroscopy, Spy Glass Cholangio Pancreatoscopy, Laser Lithotripsy (B). Techniques-Banding for Varices, Glue for Fundal varices, Self Expanding Metallic Stenting, Advanced Endotherapy & Per Oral Endocopic Myotomy (POEM).
- Original work on “drug induced esophageal ulcer- treatment” and “Gastric Fundal varices treatment” published internationally.
- Founded Medlndia Academy and has organized 10 International live workshops, 16 National Conferences, 22 Regional Conferences, 14 Endoscopy Crash courses and convened nearly 200 Weekly meetings.
- Member, Asian consensus panel for Per Oral Cholangio – Pancreatoscopy + Has performed over 23,500 Therapeutic Endoscopy procedures.
- Authored two books on GI Endoscopy.
- Faculty, Madras Medical College, 1986-89.
- Established the Dept. of Medical Gastroenterology at Coimbatore Medical College (1989 -96).
- As Managing Trustee of Medlndia Charitable Trust, he has conducted 32 public health exhibitions and 92 Free Medical Camps focusing on Persons with Disabilities.
- Assessed Nutritional deficiencies of several hundred differently abled school students and rectified accordingly.
- Conceptualised & Distributed ‘Braille Chart on Hygiene Tips’ to Visually impaired school students of entire Tamil Nadu, first of its kind in India.
Outstanding Professional Achievements
- Padma Shri Award in Medicine – Gastroenterology, by Government of India, 2016
- National Best Individual Professional award for Services to Persons with Disabilities, by the Hon. President of India, 3rd December, 2017.
- Tamil Nadu Scientist Award by Tamil Nadu State Council for Science & Technology
- Tamil Nadu Government, Best Institution Award for Serving the Persons with disabilities for MedIndia Charitable Trust established by Dr. T.S. Chandrasekar
- Dr. P.N. Chuttani Oration Award (2015), Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG), an Apex non-profit academic institution
- Best Doctor Award for Services rendered to persons with disabilities, from Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Dept. for the Welfare of Persons with Disabilities, Government of Tamil Nadu, 2012.
- Dr. K.S. Sanjivi Award, for medical & healthcare services rendered to persons with disabilities, by Ekam Foundation (a prestigious NGO), Chennai, 2012.
- Best Doctor Award for Professional Excellence for services rendered to the Development of Speciality, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, 2011.
- Olympus J. Mitra Endoscopy Award, for outstanding contributions to the field of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy by ISG, 2008.
- Sisco-Pentax Oration Award (2009), for contributions to the development of the speciality, by the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), an apex non-profit academic institution.
- Indian Science Monitor Award, for achievement in medical and social work, Indian Science Monitor, a prestigious NGO based at Chennai in 2005.
- Best Outgoing Student Award, Madurai Medical College (1978), with 14 Gold Medals during MBBS Course (Dr. C.K.P.Menon Gold Medal, 1978).
- D.Sc (Honoris causa), for services rendered to the development of speciality by The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2009.
- SGEI Presidential Oration, awarded by the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), 2008.
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (FIMSA), 2009
- Fellowship of Indian College of Physicians (FICP), 2009
- API National Award – Dr. Coelho Memorial Lectureship in Experimental Medicine
- 23 Prestigious National Awards
- International Committee Member (India Region), American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FASGE).
- Special Invitee to deliver lecture by American Gastroenterology Association, on “Gastric Varices” during Digestive Diseases Week (DDW-2016),San Diego, USA.
- Awarded Fellowship of the American Speciality for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FASGE), 2015.
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology (FACG), 2015.
- Fellowships of the Royal Colleges of Physicians (FRCP) of Glasgow & Edinburg in 2009.
- Member, Asian Consensus Panel for Cholangioscopy
- Awarded Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, Kitazato University East Hospital, Tokyo and Kyoto 2nd Red Cross Hospital, Kyoto, 2006.
- Special Invited Faculty for World Congress of Gastroenterology, London, 2009
- Invited Faculty, World Congress of Gastroenterology, Los Angeles, 1994
- Expert Invited Faculty for over 80 Overseas Live Workshops conducted in USA, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand and Gulf Countries
- Member, State Advisory Board on Disability, Department for the Welfare of Differently Abled, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Honorary Reviewer, Indian Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology International
- Member, Department of Curriculum Development, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai
- Chairman of Medical Advisory Council for developing low cost indigenous endoscopy accessories, Boston Scientific Inc (USA), South Indian Chapter
- Hon. Consultant, Indian Red Cross Society, Tamilnadu Chapter
- Chairman & Chief Gastroenterologist, Medlndia Hospitals, Chennai
- Founder & Managing Trustee, Medlndia Charitable Trust
- Reviewer & Editorial Board Member, Journal of Digestive Endoscopy
- Initiator , Medlndia Research Foundation
Professional Positions Held
- Hon. National President, Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG), 2016-17
- Hon. National President, Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), 2007-08
- Adjunct Professor, Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University(2005-10)
- Governing Council Member, Indian National Association for Study of Liver Diseases (INASL)
Milestones & Highlights
- Created & Compiled 14 Teaching CD-ROMs in Basic & Advanced Endoscopy, from his personal collection of performing over 23,500 Endoscopic Surgical Procedures.
- Delivered more than 750 Invitational Lectures in India & Abroad
- Published 2 Hand Books on G.I. Endoscopy and several publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Trained over 750 doctors in G.I. Endoscopy, taking the G.I. Endoscopy emergency surgical procedures to rural masses through the trainees.
- Conducted around 100 Free Medical Consultation Camps and over 30 Public Health & Exhibition.
Medical Relief Programs
(A) Medial Relief Programs for the Disabled
- Braille Charts for the visually impaired and health cards for the Hearing Impaired on Hygiene & Sanitation Tips for Improvement of Personal hygiene and healthOver 1900 Visual and 1600 hearing impaired school children from all over Tamil Nadu, South India benefitted with Braille Charts on Hygienic Health Tips and Health Cards on Clean Health Habits. The same has been translated into English and 12 regional Indian languages such as Assamese, Bengali, Hindi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odisha, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu and distributed throughout India, benefitted several thousand needy. For this medico-social relief work, Dr. Chandrasekar was honoured with the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disability by the President of India (weblink http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/tn-doctor-wins-national-award-for-empowerment-of-disabled-117120400005_1.html).
- IQ Assessment and Career Counseling (with 130 beneficiaries)
Disabled higher secondary school students, who are likely to have to compromised IQ due to their inherent disabilities, were screened for IQ Assessment & Career Counselling. This enables the students decide on their career choices, such as employment (or) higher studies, proving an IQ matching vocational service with the employment service providers. This is likely to help them achieve self-sufficiency. The State Government of Tamil Nadu bestowed Dr. Chandrasekar with the Best Institution Award for Services to the Disabled, in August, 2017 for this initiative (http://cms.tn.gov.in/sites/default/files/press_release/pr150817n.jpg)
- Nutritional Assessment & Supplementation of Deficiencies such as Hemoglobin, calcium, protein and Lipids (with over 6500 beneficiaries)
Compromised nutritional status will be an additional burden to the otherwise unfortunate disabled growing school students. Taking this into consideration, Nutritional Assessment of disabled school students of Chennai city was carried out in 2012. This was followed up with Supplementation of the identified deficiencies such as Iron, calcium, protein and Lipids. The growth indices of the deficient students showed considerable improvement in 2016, on followup. This initiative was recognized by the State Government of Tamil Nadu, which honoured him with the Best Doctor Award for Services to the Disabled, on 15th August, 2012. (http://www.livechennai.com/detailnews.asp?newsid=24132)
(B) Initiative to empower Global Citizens
emergency medical care card (emc2) for global citizens
- Dr. Chandrasekar has conceptualized QR coded emergency medical care card (emc2), which is likely to benefit millions of lone travelers across the globe. Since this first of its kind, novel initiative, is empowered to provide medical information and contact details with phone number of the lone traveler, when he or she is brought to the hospital in an unconscious state due to accident or pre-existing disease, unaccompanied by a known person.
- In case of emergency, for effective implementation of golden hour medical treatment, this card provides the medical fraternity about the card holder, brought in an unconscious state, with the basic medical information apart from the photo identity, contact details with phone number in QR code format. The medical information contains the blood group, pre-existing diseases namely diabetes, hypertension, cardiac, liver and kidney diseases, bleeding disorders, Addison’s disease, thyroid disorders, previous history of hospitalization including metal prosthesis in situ, medication and allergies.
- Even though this card is inanimate, it is equipped to save a life an unknown and unconscious person with the information in the QR code format which can be accessed by the QR App of a smart phone in case of an emergency as a life saving measure. The information in the QR Code is linked to, stored in and accessed from the exclusive internal server maintained by us at MedIndia Hospitals, Chennai, South India.In view of the availability of QR coded medical information, there is no need to duplicate the basic medical tests of the concerned, which makes it both a time saving as well as a cost saving measure.
- Thus, this concept provides a sense of security, safety and confidence to millions of lone travelers across the globe, some of whom unfortunately likely to be pushed into an unconscious state due to an accident or pre-existing disease. (weblink – http://medindiatrust.com/project-videos/).
- To the best of our knowledge, this initiative and facility is unavailable in most of the countries, hence deserves universal appeal and significance.
- The Pilot project implemented by us has reached several thousand beneficiaries across various categories of the working population such as industrial labourers, night duty workers, office staff, IT personnel etc.
- This initiative earned him an Invitation for a TEDx Talk from the Organizers of TEDxMesra. (weblink – http://tedxbitmesra.com/index.html#team-section).
Dr. Chandrasekar delivered his TEDx Talk on “emc2 – Paving ways to saving lives” on 7th April 2018 at the Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, India.
(C) Awareness creation to the public of Tamil Nadu state on digestive diseases through Toll Free Digestive Diseases Help Line No. 12789
- For creating awareness among the public on digestive diseases on health and diseases, basic dietary advice, vaccination schedule and preventive measures, Dr. Chandrasekar has launched in 2009, a Toll Free Digestive Diseases Help Line No. 12789, whereby a member of the public, by making a telephone call, can speak to a Medical professional and get their queries clarified. This telephone based helpline no. has been enabled through the Federal Government owned telephone network. This is a first of its kind initiative in this part of the country. (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/Governor-launches-helpline-on-digestive-disorders/article16565866.ece).
(D) Awareness creation to the Indian public on digestive health and diseases through the Multi Lingual Public Information Website
- Dr. Chandrasekar has put in place a multi lingual public information website, www.digestivediseasesinfo.com in English and in regional Indian languages, on digestive health & diseases. (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-downtown/multilingual-website-on-digestive-health/article8542225.ece).