Prof. Dr. T.S.CHANDRASEKAR,
MD, DM, D.Sc, FRCP(Glasg), FRCP(Edin),FICP, FIMSA, FASGE
- Conferred Padma Shri Award by the Government of India, the highest civilian award, for his contributions in Medicine — Gastroenterology, in January, 2016.
- Hon. National President, Indian Society of Gastroenterology – (2016-2017)
- Conferred Fellowship of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FASGE), Royal College of Physicians of Edinburg & Glasgow (FRCP — Edinburg & Glasgow)
- International Committee Member, America! Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- Tamil Nadu State Awardee for Services rendered to Persons with Disabilities
- Tamil Nadu Scientist Awardee by The Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology
- Awarded the prestigious Olympus J-Mitra Endoscopy Award and SISCO Pentax Oration Award by The Indian Society of Gastroenterology for his outstanding contributions in G.I. Endoscopy, 2008
- Best Outgoing Student, with 14 Gold medals to his credit, Madurai Medical College, Tamil Nadu, South India, 1979.
- M.D (Internal Medicine)., DM (Gastroenterology) from the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India 1980-85.
- D.Sc, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, South India, 2009
- Honorary National President, Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India, (2007-2008)
- Editorial Board Member. Journal of Digestive Endoscopy and Honorary Reviewer for Indian Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology International.
- Has delivered 25 prestigious Orations and more than 450 invitational lectures in India and abroad.
- Adjunct Professor, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai (2005-2010)
- He served as an expert and faculty in over 80 International Live Endoscopy Workshop held at Singapore, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India and delivered more than 450 invitational lectures.
- Best Doctor Award by the Honourable Chief of Minister of Tamil Nadu, South India, for his Professional Excellence and Medico Social Service, on 15th August, 2012
- Created 14 Teaching CD ROMs in GI Endoscopy, first of its kind in India
- Instituted a Toll Free Digestive Diseases Helpline No. 12789, first of its kind in India.
- Trained over 750 doctors in GI Endoscopy from all over India and abroad.
- Introduced first time in Tamil Nadu following Facilities: (A). Endo Ultrasonography, High Resolution G.I.Manometry, Balloon Enteroscopy, Spy Glass Cholangio Pancreatoscopy, Laser Lithotripsy (B). Techniques-Banding for Varices,Glue for Fundal varices,Self Expanding Metallic Stenting, Advanced Endotherapy & Per Oral Endocopic Myotomy (POEM).
- Original work on “drug induced esophageal ulcer- treatment” and “Gastric Fundal varices treatment” published internationally.
- Founded Medlndia Academy and has organized 10 International live workshops, 16 National Conferences, 22 Regional Conferences, 14 Endoscopy Crash courses and convened over 185 Weekly meetings.
- Member, Asian consensus panel for Per Oral Cholangio – Pancreatoscopy + Has performed over 23,500 Therapeutic Endoscopy procedures
- Authored two books on GI Endoscopy.
- Faculty, Madras Medical College, 1986-89.
- Established the Dept. of Medical Gastroenterology at Coimbatore Medical College (1989 -96).
- As Managing Trustee of Medlndia Charitable Trust, he has conducted 32 public health exhibitions and 92 Free Medical Camps focusing on Diffently abled.
- Assessed Nutritional deficiencies of several hundred differently abled school students and rectified accordingly
- Conceptualised & Distributed ‘Braille Chart on Hygiene Tips’ to Visually impaired school students of entire TamilNadu, first of its kind in India.
Outstanding Professional Achievements
- Padma Shri Award in Medicine—Gastroenterology, by Government of India, 2016
- Tamil Nadu Scientist Award by Tamil Nadu State Council for Science & Technology
- Tamil Nadu Government, Best Institution Award for Serving the Persons with disabilities for MedIndia Charitable Trust established by Dr. T.S. Chandrasekar
- Dr. P.N. Chuttani Oration Award (2015), Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG), an Apex non-profit academic institution
- Best Doctor Award for Services rendered to persons with disabilities, from Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Dept. for the Welfare of Persons with Disabilities, Government of Tamil Nadu, 2012
- Dr. K.S. Sanjivi Award, for medical & healthcare services rendered to persons with disabilities, by Ekam Foundation (a prestigious NGO), Chennai, 2012
- Best Doctor Award for Professional Excellence for services rendered to the Development of Speciality, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, 2011
- Olympus J. Mitra Endoscopy Award, for outstanding contributions to the field of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy by ISG, 2008
- Sisco-Pentax Oration Award (2009), for contributions to the development of the speciality, by the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), an apex non-profit academic institution
- Indian Science Monitor Award, for achievement in medical and social work, Indian Science Monitor, a prestigious NGO based at Chennai in 2005.
- Best Outgoing Student Award, Madurai Medical College (1978), with 14 Gold Medals during MBBS Course (Dr. C.K.P.Menon Gold Medal, 1978)
- D.Sc (Honoris causa), for services rendered to the development of speciality by The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2009
- SGEI Presidential Oration, awarded by the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), 2008
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (FIMSA), 2009
- Fellowship of Indian College of Physicians (FICP), 2009
- API National Award – Dr. Coelho Memorial Lectureship in Experimental Medicine
- 23 Prestigious National Awards
- Special Invitee to deliver lecture by American Gastroenterology Association, on “Gastric Varices” during Digestive Diseases Week (DDW-2016),San Diego,USA
- Awarded Fellowship of the American Speciality for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FASGE), 2015
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology (FACG), 2015
- Fellowships of the Royal Colleges of Physicians (FRCP) of Glasgow & Edinburg in 2009.
- Member, Asian Consensus Panel for Cholangioscopy
- Awarded Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, Kitazato University East Hospital, Tokyo and Kyoto 2nd Red Cross Hospital, Kyoto, 2006
- Special Invited Faculty for World Congress of Gastroenterology, London, 2009
- Invited Faculty, World Congress of Gastroenterology, Los Angeles, 1994
- Expert Invited Faculty for over 80 Overseas Live Workshops conducted in USA, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand and Gulf Countries
- Hon. National President – 2017, Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Honorary Reviewer, Indian Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology International
- Member, Department of Curriculum Development, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai
- Chairman of Medical Advisory Council for developing low cost indigenous endoscopy accessories, Boston Scientific Inc (USA), South Indian Chapter
- Hon. Consultant, Indian Red Cross Society, Tamilnadu Chapter
- Chairman & Chief Gastroenterologist, Medlndia Hospitals, Chennai
- Founder & Managing Trustee, Medlndia Charitable Trust
- Reviewer & Editorial Board Member, Journal of Digestive Endoscopy
- Initiator , Medlndia Research Foundation
Professional Positions Held
- National President, Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), 2007-08
- Adjunct Professor,Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University(2005-10)
- Governing Council Member, Indian National Association for Study of Liver Diseases (INASL)
Milestones & Highlights
- Created & Compiled 14 Teaching CD-ROMs in Basic & Advanced Endoscopy, from his personal collection of performing over 23,500 Endoscopic Surgical Procedures.
- Delivered more than 450 Invitational Lectures in India & Abroad
- Published 2 Hand Books on G.I. Endoscopy and several publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Trained over 750 doctors in G.I. Endoscopy, taking the G.I. Endoscopy emergeceny surgical procedures to rural masses through the trainees
- Conducted around 100 Free Medical Consultation Camps and over 30 Public Health & Exhibition.